Tuesday, December 6, 2016

I'm back in business...

 Hello everyone!
I'm finally back in the swing of things...

Long story short
This past August my husband and I moved to
the lovely city of Kingston, Ontario
{the city is hugging the shores of Lake Ontario}

With the move of course came finding a new home for us,
and after viewing 19 homes we finally found the one
to call home.


And of course no house is perfect
and the one we finally picked needed a bit of work.

The whole main living space was fine and only needed
us to move our stuff in and start living,
But my space, which ended being in the basement,
needed some work so it could function as a studio.

Found a great contractor {Steve and his crew}
and he knew just what I needed
{okay so I had a wish list mile long}

The area for my studio is half of the basement space,
a good 34 feet long {like a bowling alley} and 11 feet wide.
It houses the furnace and other cool gadgets I have no idea
what they are called.
There was exposed vents, wires galore and pipes in the
ceiling and nice cold concreate floors.

  
 Tape on the floor was from when I needed
to show Steve where I was visioning my work spaces
{a few things changed as the work came along}

Me doing a happy dance!
Yes, seeing the work and how things started to take shape
really made it exciting.

A wall separating the now furnace room,
and one door way was blocked off {behind it is now
the guest bedroom}.
Vents covered, new ceiling, white walls, flooring
and lighting...  The room was really coming alive.


For being such a long and narrow space, it sure looks
fantastic now, more space and airy.


And then all my old stuff moved in
or almost all my stuff, sadly my big wall unit from my
old studio cant fit down the stairs or through the windows
{oh sniff, snort... sigh}

So sad, but I had to find storage solution for all my
books, supplies and collections
Sourced around and searched high and low for a good piece
to hold all my stuff, but found nothing.
So then I had to use a bit more imagination
and I ended up getting old barn boards for shelving
and trestles as legs for the main top.
A few bits and bobs from Ikea and hard ware stores
and I now have new wall unit like thing
{hard to see here, but will post more pics later} 


I'm still toying with if I should paint the wall unit and
the big old table white or not.
I want to keep this space as light as possible
and especially during all the winter months.


In this space I have now house and display
my books and "stuff" plus store supplies.
The island where I do printing and some painting
{it also stores more supplies},
The big table and seating where I paint and draw
and at times have friends over to create with.

And a desk area where I try to work on the computer, taking
online classes and doing some other drawings
{and at times some sewing when needed}

The windows in studio are facing out back and to the ravine,
absolutely love the view from here with all the trees
and ton of birds and other wild life out there.
Down below our house is the river that connects with
Lake Ontario, now we can see the lake because all the leaves
have fallen down...  I love living close to water.


There are a few things that still needs fixing,
like my area where I store all paintings
and new canvases.
For now, the old dresser will have to do.


Oh and here is my spot where
I can stand and paint.
A few things hanging up so I can see what I have
or are working on...  And my new addition to the
colourblob crew, Hilda!
She's a super funny and cheeky Viking gal
that one of my dear friends gave me for my 50th
{but I'm still 32, just wish my body got that memo}

Hilda likes to hang around the flower pots
and keeping an eye on things. 


Any hooo!
So that's my news from my new space, home
and town.
I have only been doing a few small art projects
{more will come about that shortly}
between renovations and exploring this
great place...  And of course spending
as much time as I could by the water.
Sketching, doing photography and walking tons
with my sidekick Charlie.


So now I'm back!
Back to painting and creating
and of course making new great messes

A huge thank you to Steve and his great crew
{Jessica and Matt}
You guys really made this a dream place come to alive.

And biggest thank you
go to Mr B
Thank you baby for humouring my
crazy artistic visions and creations.
And more so for supporting me and 
the art paths I want to explore, love you!  

Okay!
so now on to next adventure and
Happy December to all of you



No comments:

Post a Comment